The skin is the largest organ in our body, and it is an important component of the immune system. So, it is important to protect the skin and most of the skincare products available in the market do this. The therapeutic and medical properties of the cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) makes it an ideal ingredient in many skincare formulations. They are useful for fighting acne, managing flareups due to psoriasis and eczema, and so on. In this article we will investigate different aspects of CBD skincare; read on to know more about them.
CBD And Skin
Cannabidiol produces its effects by interacting with CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a network of chemical messengers like hormones and neurotransmitters that are spread throughout our body, and it is common to all vertebrate mammals. It regulates homeostasis and any imbalance in this system makes you sick. CB2 receptors of the ECS are mainly part of the immune system, and because of this, they are found on the skin. CBD topical products like creams, balms, ointments, etc., interact with these receptors to produce their therapeutic effect.
Tips For Skincare
Before delving further into the uses of CBD topical for healthy skin, let us get a better understanding of the pillars of skincare. You must know that CBD alone will not improve the health of your skin, but it enhances the effects of your skincare routine. Listed below are the key components of any skincare regimen.
- Cleansing: Cleansing is the most important skincare routine as it removes dirt and impurities from your skin.
- Toning: Toners remove the dirt that was not removed by a cleanser and adds additional nutrients to the cleaned skin. This helps to replace the natural oils that were removed, improves moisture absorption of the skin, and shrinks the pores.
- Exfoliating: Our skin continually sheds dead skin cells, and if not removed for a prolonged time, they can clog the pores. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, and it is essential for maintaining healthy skin.
- Moisturizing: Hydration is essential for maintaining healthy skin as it slows down the formation of wrinkles. Applying moisturizers tightens skin pores, protects the skin against dryness, inflammation, pigmentation, and other daily problems.
- Protection: When stepping outside into the sun, you must apply sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays. Otherwise, it can cause skin issues like dryness, inflammation, and wrinkle formation.
CBD Enhancing Skincare Routine
CBD enhances the skincare routine because of its interaction with CB2 receptors on the skin. Also, CBD topical products are a better option than synthetic skincare products because it is hypoallergenic. Because of this, it can be used by those who have sensitive skin.
Also, keep in mind that CBD oil is the main ingredient used in many cannabidiol infused skincare products.
CBD Oil In Skincare
The topical application of CBD oil is useful because of its therapeutic effects like antioxidant and antimicrobial effects. It is rich in vitamin A that helps to keep the skin healthy and firm. Vitamin C in it boosts collagen production that is required for maintaining the skin’s elasticity. Also, it is rich in vitamin E which is a fat-soluble antioxidant, and it helps to slow down skin aging. Apart from this, CBD oil is useful for preventing and managing acne because cannabidiol (CBD) reduces the secretion of sebocytes, and it has anti-inflammatory effects. Due to these reasons, CBD oil is used as the main ingredient in many cannabidiol skincare formulations.
CBD Oil For Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is usually caused due to reduced sebum production; this results in inflammation, dry skin, or allergies. The sebum helps the skin to retain moisture and it protects the skin from irritants. The topical application of CBD oil is useful to manage this condition mainly due to its anti-inflammatory effect which reduces its symptoms like redness and irritation. Moreover, CBD also helps to regulate the production of sebum.
CBD Oil For Dry Skin
CBD oil is useful for soothing the discomforts due to dry skin because it is rich in fatty acids. It helps to keep the skin hydrated due to its moisturizing property. You can apply it after cleansing the skin, as well as after drying off from the shower.
The effectiveness of CBD topical products for skin care depends on the quality of the product, and to enjoy maximum benefits you must buy those made by reputed manufacturers. Listed below are the tips for choosing a genuine CBD skincare product.
- Read Label: Check the product label to know the ingredients used in it; most high-quality products are made using full-spectrum CBD.
- Check Third-Party Verification: CBD products from reputed manufacturers have a certificate of analysis (COA) from ISO accredited third-party labs. This ensures that the ingredients in the actual product match the label.
We hope that the details shared above will help in your purchase and use of CBD topical skincare products.